29 September 2009

Cloud Body 03 at Bristol University



I spent 3 days in Bristol last week, attending a seminar on digital documentation of performance organised by JISC Digital Media (hosted at the Institute for Learning and Research Technology at the University of Bristol).

During this stay I made a version of "Growing Bodies from the Cloud" on Thursday 24th as part of Speaker's Corner at Arnolfini. The piece was very different from Lori's and my joined forces on Park(ing) Day on Friday and I don't think it worked quite as well. Apparently it seemed fine from 'the outside' but I think much more time needs to be spent on contextualizing the piece for each different time and location. I am still waiting to receive the documentation photos from this event, they will be up here soon!
On Thur night I was asked by JISC seminar facilitators Stephen Gray and Paul Clarke if I wanted to show the piece once more, during the lunch break the next (and final) day of the seminar.

After spending some time thinking and planning I agreed and this time I decided to make the piece into more of an intimate, introvert version - naked but crouched up and hiding my face in my hair, only seeing the sheets of stickers laid out in front of me, and sticking them to my own body. I also choose to place myself on a table as the space was a meeting/work type of room, and (with the help of the very helpful staff - thanks!) made use of the number of cameras the department has - four SLR's, which two on tripods.

This is an idea I have wanted to explore for a while - the documentation being integral to the live performance, and the audience participating partly by documenting, or seeing through the camera. Well, more could have been done in terms of me planning the event... Apparently not every audience member had managed to read the background/instructions - too discreetly stuck on the wall - they must have thought I was completely random! :) I also was made aware of how tricky it is to ask people to use SLR cameras - even with auto settings, most images came out blurry. Possibly an issue to do with lighting as well.

The bottom line is that despite having very little time I DID it, and this I am happy about. Again, great support from staff at JISC, thanks.



0 comments:

Post a Comment