25 September 2009

Photo documentation of CloudBody 02 at Arnolfini Speakers Corner, Bristol

Cloud Body 02 showed at Arnolfini, Bristol as part of the 100 Days Countdown: a series of exhibitions, performances and talks highlighting climate change, social justice and art and activism, running between 29 Aug - 6 Dec 2009 - up to the Copenhagen climate conference. My friend and former course mate at Brighton University, Pablo Perezzarate, had the idea of one gig per count-down day, and is now organising a huge number of gigs through Climate350, a Bristol-based charity. He invited me to come and show some work and it luckily coincided with my plans to attend JISC's documentation seminar.

Working on my own made quite a different piece from the version shown at Park(ing) Day, where me and Lori O'Regan had three hours in an outdoor, public site with a mainly 'accidental' audience watching and taking part. On my own, and with much less time at hand, the piece felt rushed and with less defined borders than I would have wanted. Nevertheless, the feedback I had seemed ok. So, at the end of the day I have had a chance to practice a favourite way of performing - structured improvisation, and to use this in something different from movement work, which I would normally use it in. It was interesting to see the improv limitations of this more conceptual piece being different from a more movement orientated piece, where you can fall back on 'doing something dancy' when you run out of flow.

Arnolfini is 'one of Europe’s leading centres for the contemporary arts' according to their own website, and as far as I understand it is true. I ended up there all of my three days staying in Bristol and I enjoyed their open setting by the canal in a buzzing, stroll-friendly part of town, and the culturally minded, good-looking crowd who were casually hanging out in the cafe/bar.

All images by Pablo Perezzarate


0 comments:

Post a Comment